In 1933, seven women friends (six lived in Boston and one spent summers in New England) were keenly interested in learning more about herb botany and horticulture. One had a personal connection to Dr. Edgar Anderson of the Arnold Arboretum at Harvard University who offered the group use of testing grounds at the Arboretum, as well as his expertise to help further their studies. The group decided to form a society whose intent and purpose was the study and research of herbs. On August 23, 1933, at the Ipswich, Massachusetts home of Mrs. Albert C. (Anne) Burrage, Jr. The Society was formally organized. Other interested gardeners and students were invited to join after the founders adopted the initial by-laws and policies.