The Herb Society of America, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization headquartered in Kirtland, Ohio, seeks an experienced candidate for a temporary part-time archivist position.
The Society has been promoting herbs and educating the public about herbs since 1933. With forty units located across the United States, the group supports the National Herb Garden at the National Arboretum in Washington, DC and numerous public gardens throughout the country. In addition to herbal education, the organization actively promotes conservation efforts through its GreenBridges and Notable Native programs.
The Society houses a 124-linear-foot archive of materials in various formats dating from the founding of the organization in 1933 to the present. The organization seeks a professionally trained, experienced archivist to process recent acquisitions into existing record groups and to make recommendations for the ongoing management and preservation of the collection. The position is short-term and part-time until all records are processed, the inventory updated, the collection is satisfactorily organized, and recommendations for ongoing management and preservation of the archives are made. Hours are flexible, Monday through Thursday between 9:00AM and 5:00PM, up to 30 hrs. per week. The position reports to the Interim Director of Operations.
- Process materials in accordance with The Society’s archival policies and guidelines and professional standards.
- Arrange and describe unprocessed records using existing record groups and series included in the established “Inventory of Records and Manuscripts in The Herb Society of American Archives.”
- Update and revise the Inventory as needed.
- Shift materials as necessary to optimize arrangement and allow for the addition of future materials.
- During the project, make recommendations to the Interim Director of Operations concerning The Society’s existing records management policies and disposal schedules in consultation with the Director of Operations, Treasurer, Board of Directors, and Library Advisory Committee.
- Identify and make recommendations for the physical care and preservation of inactive, permanent records having historical value and suggest their transfer to the archives.
- Make recommendations for ongoing management and preservation of the archives.
- MLS/MLIS librarian archivist graduate professional degree from an American Library Association accredited university preferred, advanced archival degree considered.
- 3 years minimum professional archival experience
- Ability to lift materials weighing up to 40 pounds and ability to tolerate dust
- Horticultural or botanical background helpful, but not necessary
- Library experience preferred
Supervisor: This position reports to the Interim Director of Operations of The Herb Society of America.
Skills and Abilities: Outstanding management skills, a high level of initiative, creative and flexible problem-solving skills and ability to work independently.
Salary: $20 / hour, up to 30 hours per week for 8 weeks.
Application deadline May 15, 2019. Review of candidates and their application materials will begin immediately. Applicants should include a resume and references, a cover letter describing your interest in the position, and a statement of how your background meets the required qualifications.
Application materials can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Gretchen Faro, Interim Director of Operations
The Herb Society of America
9019 Kirtland Chardon Road
Kirtland, Ohio 44094