Long Island Unit
Established in March of 1991, The Herb Society of America, Inc. Long Island Unit is made up of garden writers, designers, lecturers, craftspeople, cooks and avid gardeners; all with a keen interest in learning more about and sharing their knowledge of herbs. Membership in our unit includes:
- Six meetings a year on the second Thursday of the months of January, March, May, July, September and November at 11 AM with speakers on a wide variety of herbal topics.
- A subscription to our newsletter, Rosmarinus, featuring unit and local information, articles about herbs, horticultural information and recipes.
- Presenting our annual educational symposium held at the Old Field Club in Setauket with presentations on a wide variety of herbal topics. The symposium features an herbal lunch, marketplace and raffle.
- Producing an annual fundraising event, the Herb Fest, held at the Hallockville Museum Farm Fall Festival and Craft Fair on Sound Avenue, Riverhead, on third Saturday, in September. Herbs--freshly cut and potted--jams, jellies, crafts, baked goods, tussie-mussies, pomanders and many more handmade herbal items will be for sale and members will give demonstrations throughout the day. For more information about this year's festival, see www.hallockville.com.
- Trips and workshops to to explore the world of herbs including tours of private gardens and opportunities to make items for our Fest.
- Planting and maintaining a public herb garden at the Post-Morrow Foundation on Bay Road in Brookhaven hamlet.
- Providing horticultural and financial support for herb gardens such as the ones sponsored by Cornell Cooperative Extension in Nassau and Suffolk counties.
- Membership in The Herb Society of America, Inc. a national organization of members who are dedicated to the promotion and knowledge of herbs and sharing that knowledge with their communities. For further information about the society, see the website at www.herbsociety.org.
Please accept our invitation to attend one of our meetings and consider membership in our unit by calling Karen Rowley, Membership Chair at 631-286-0975.